Stealth Products Brake Discs

Sensible discussions, polls & current affairs related to the motorcycle world.
Moderator: Moderators

Stealth Products Brake Discs

Postby scre4m4ger » 05 Apr 2010, 12:12

I found out yesterday that I need to replace one of my front brake discs. Since a genuine yamaha part would stand me at about £220 for one disc i was looking at http://www.stealthproducts.co.uk/

They offer full set of wavey disc (2 front and 1 rear) for £195, no brainer really provided that they are decent.

So my question is has anyone used these before? any feedback on the discs or the company themselves? A traul of internet site gives the impression notorious for selling the wrong discs and slow to rectify the problem.
scre4m4ger
Four stroker

Bike(s): Yamaha FZ1-N

Postby jon'n'yvon » 05 Apr 2010, 12:21

I always get my chains from them and they last well. However i fitted a new chain on Friday and and the soft link was machined badly. He gave me two soft links which was odd but when fitting I found out why.. the 1st one i pushed the pins out of the back because the holes were not big enough for the pins to go through so after drilling the 2nd set I got them fitted. Thats the 1st time I have had a problem with chains from them though :angel: and I will put in down to a bad batch of soft links this time. Benefit of doubt and all that plus i'll see how the chain wears. :think:
and my MOTORCYCLE BLOG http://catdogcatdog.wordpress.com/
jon'n'yvon
SYB addict

Bike(s): Suzuki Bandit 1200S K6. Yamaha YZF600R 97. Honda 250N 80

Postby Distant Sun » 05 Apr 2010, 12:27

Mate at work bought a set from them and is quite impressed. As they manufacture on site I can't see that there would be a problem to rectify or replace if there was a problem. Best thing is to go down and see for yourself. They trade under at least 3 names Stealth, Bill Beavers and Trade Direct dependent on what services you require [MOT, Servicing or parts.etc.]. I go there for the MOT and find them really friendly. Address is
65 DEEP LANE
S5 0DU SHEFFIELD,
which is off Ecclesfield road AKA Woolley Wood Bottom [no jokes please :lol: ]
It's not easy to spot as its behind a VW garage
Distant Sun
Wheelie nutcase

Bike(s): Benelli Tre1130K + Honda CBF1000

Postby supadave » 05 Apr 2010, 13:39

I bought some big waveys from them for my Blade about 6 years ago and they were great, looked really good too.
The only problem is that you have to grind your old bobbins off at the back, then they drop out. You then replace them with the bobins supplied, which are secured with big cir clips. This means the discs rattle slightly in the carrier under normal riding. When you brake and the calliper grips the disc they dont rattle. Takes a bit of getting used to but they are good. And very cheap
supadave
SYB addict

Postby scre4m4ger » 05 Apr 2010, 13:48

thats kinda put me off, theres nothing i hate more than rattles, althought the picture on the site looks like they come supplied with carriers, perhaps they do now :s

it does say coloured centers and bobbins available
scre4m4ger
Four stroker

Postby supadave » 05 Apr 2010, 14:08

Phone them up maybe they do complete units now, complete with pressed in bobbins. But mine were definitely a loose fit. dosen`t effect their performance in any way
supadave
SYB addict

Postby scre4m4ger » 05 Apr 2010, 14:19

advice taken gave them a call and apparently they are all one unit now, press rivited together. Centers are black. if you require differnt centers they have to be bought extra and you are right they are put together with cir clips. Black will do me fine so thats a result!
scre4m4ger
Four stroker

Postby supadave » 05 Apr 2010, 14:34

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
supadave
SYB addict

Postby TimeBandit » 05 Apr 2010, 16:07

Just let ya insurance know if ya do swap em....

There are pedantic plod out there who will pickup on the fact that mods aint been notified to the insurance an will try n say its void.

http://www.c90club.co.uk
TimeBandit
Stand still while i take aim

Bike(s): Two big 'uns...and a few smaller 'uns

Postby Dave G » 05 Apr 2010, 17:10

Try these if you get stuck. I tried it for an XJR1200 and they cover the model.

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/bike/default.asp
Anyone for shafting?..........
Dave G
The Informed One

Name: Boon
Bike(s): BMW K1200RS

Postby BimotaNick » 06 Apr 2010, 13:18

scre4m4ger wrote:thats kinda put me off, theres nothing i hate more than rattles,

Put a small blob of silicone sealant in the circlip and bobbin, that stops the rattle.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
BimotaNick
Sidecar Racer

Bike(s): Harley 48, SB6, Supermono, RC30, CBR, VTR, GSXR750, 998 Lynx

Postby CMSMJ1 » 06 Apr 2010, 13:35

I bought some wavy discs for my moto about 2 years ago. They have been bob on - no messing at all and curently are used for my race bike.

No warping, no noises and no rattles.

The only downside is the slightly high iron content that sees the rotor get a few rust spots if not used for a few weeks. This brushes straight off but if you don't ride over winter then try get it nice and dry.

I would recommend them no worries.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM
CMSMJ1
Four stroker